Dear Justin

I can't believe you are gone.  I feel at a loss for words...or maybe more like I have too many and I don't know how to make them all make sense. 

I remember as kids being so close to you.  And the same when we were grown but life gets so busy when you're no longer in the carefree days of childhood.  I remember spending what felt like countless hours in the basement of Meme and Papa's house on the river playing whatever games came to mind or wishing that I could play pool with the rest of you but at that time I wasn't tall enough yet.  I remember playing Super Nintendo with you and Papa and always wishing that I could be as good as you.  And how you seemed to be the only one that could blow on the game cartridges to get the game to work when it was being difficult.  I remember one Christmas among them all that we slept in the back bedroom of Meme and Papa's house on Christmas Eve and when my mom (and Jo too, probably) came in to tell us that Santa had come that you were out of the bed and down the hall before I think I was even awake!  We had such awesome childhood Christmases with Josh and Brandi and the entire family all together.  Something that I will always cherish.  I remember going down the river in the boat with Papa and how much fun we had.  I can't wait to watch home videos when I get back from Australia, assuming that me and Meme and Papa can figure out how to work the VCR!  And, of course I remember catching critters...toads, frogs, lizards, whatever we could find...specifically the toads that used to be down in the holes by the basement windows of Meme and Papa's house.  And crawdads on the river.  Us both being animal lovers, I remember bragging to my friends...and I still do...about all the cool amphibians and reptiles that my cousin Justin had.  I always felt like I had a special knowledge of amphibians and reptiles because I had a cousin that knew so much about them!  I remember being at your house with your mom the day your albino Burmese python was delivered and we opened it to let it out of the box even though you wanted us to wait until you got home.  And then when you did get home, or this could have been another day, I held it and it bit me and I didn't want to tell my mom because I was afraid she wouldn't let me hold it ever again.  That's the same snake that you fed my 3 pet mice to but we can laugh about that now...and besides if that had never happened I would never have been the happy owner of Pokey the Chameleon! I remember jumping on the trampoline with you...and that one time that I fell off and face planted it.  I remember you giving the tightest hugs in the world...and I wish so badly that I could have one more.

I'm so glad we had last Christmas together and that we got to play a game of pool since I was finally tall enough to play.  I remember our talks over the past few years, a few that we had on the phone from time to time.  You were always striving in life.  Striving to be the best you could be.  I know you are at peace now watching over us all.  You were an amazing, fun, incredible cousin that I love so so much.  Life here on earth without you will be a difficult adjustment for us all but I know that we will all hold on tightly to the memories that we have and take comfort in knowing that you are still looking down upon us.  I wish that I could have made it to the Keys to visit earlier this year but you can bet that I will be there to visit your mom, Scott, and Rheya in the future.  Rheya is an amazing little girl, and she shows strength that all of us wish we had.  I love her to pieces and have no doubt that she will grow up to be just all the more amazing with her daddy watching over her. 

There are so many more memories that can't be put into words but that I will hold onto forever.  I miss you and love you so very much.  May you rest in God's peace and comfort.

Love,
Paige

In loving memory of my cousin, Justin, 9/16/85 - 9/9/13


Comments

Popular Posts