Hello 2014! I'm a little late...

So my greeting to the new year is a few months late!  But, just because I am back in the states doesn't mean that my life isn't still happy and crazy! Plus, I'm getting ready to start a new chapter in life so looks like I better hurry and catch up!

After a wonderful Christmas back at home with the fam, I broke my New Year's tradition of watching the ball drop on TV while putting a puzzle together (sounds super exciting I know...), and instead played dress up and rang in the New Year out on the town in Dallas (much more exciting)!

Mom and me - Christmas 2013 :)

Happy New Year!
I began the semester back in Stillwater going to school full time working on my Masters, starting a new job working with special needs students, and just adjusting to life back in Stillwater with my cat - it is very different from Australia with three kids!  (Speaking of - I miss those kids like crazy!)  This semester has probably been one of the most challenging ones that I have had since being in school and it has really tested my time management skills - but I've survived!  And I was able to take a couple of trips in the midst of it all.

I spent the first weekend in February escaping the horrible cold that we were having here in Oklahoma and flew south to experience Miami for the first time and meet Jessie at the finish line of the Miami marathon!  Of course, I loved hearing Spanish and seeing the Latin influence everywhere in Miami, it definitely reminded me of the travels I've had in Latin America.


South Beach, Miami
I celebrated my 25th birthday on March 9th! A quarter of a century! Life has definitely blessed me thus far though and I am excited to see what my future holds.



My dad and me :) ...gotta take pictures with everybody!

My memaw!

Took a selfie with my Papa! ...I'm not sure he even knew I was taking a picture!

My best friend! Megan!

My Meme!

And my momma!
Shortly after my birthday, I took off again, this time back to West Virginia and to explore Washington, D.C. Not the warmest place for Spring Break but it was pretty nice and I got to do a lot of sightseeing!

Changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Arlington Cemetery

 
Inside the Smithsonian

The Korea War Memorial

The White House!

Holding the Washington Monument!

Hanging out with Abe!
A few more happenings from this semester!  I ran my first 5k - if you know how much I love running or exercising in general really - then you will understand that this is a big deal for me!  I ran the Color Run in OKC with a group of friends and we ran the majority of it but it isn't timed so I ran the Remember the Ten 5k in Stillwater the following weekend and ran the whole time! I was super proud! And upon crossing the finish line I could say I may be more a fan of running now than I was before!  I have even looked in to other runs that I could possibly do - but no marathons for me anytime soon! I also walked another survivor lap at OSU's Relay for Life and had my crazy aunt Julie, who is also a cancer survivor, there to walk with me!

The Color Run!


Remember the Ten 5k
OSU Relay for Life

We are survivors!


Was proud to see so many Alpha Chis representing at Relay for Life!
Finally - this post would not be complete without mentioning the kids that I work with everyday!  I worked with physically handicapped children in Peru, and I survived my time as a nanny in Australia, but honestly when I started my job working with special needs (Down's Syndrome, Autism, etc.) children this semester I was wondering if I would ever adjust.  No worries, it took time but I did.  These kids challenge me every day but more importantly they put a smile on my face every day.  Every day is a new adventure.  They test my patience, they make me laugh, they make me exercise running all over the school and the playground, they give me hugs, sometimes they get mad and throw things at me, sometimes they make me want to pull out my hair or run away, but I always go back the next day and they make me smile all over again and embrace me with a hug.  They are all truly unique and special to me and I have been so blessed to have been able to spend this semester with them.  I can only hope that I have impacted their lives as they have certainly impacted mine!

Matt playing the trombone! He is in 5th grade and going to middle school next year and he is dying to be in the band! This was the day that the middle school band teachers came to let the students try out the instruments.  He wants to march in the OSU marching band!

Jordan and Raylin!

Matt with cupcakes on his birthday!

Me and Miss Rylee! She has quite the personality!
 
Headed to Special Olympics Bocce tournament!

Raylin and I at the Special Olympics Softball tournament where he got gold!
So that's a recap of 2014 thus far...for the most part...and tomorrow I graduate with my Masters! Ahhh! After 20 years of my life spent in school, this professional student is about to figure out what comes next in life!

Comments

Popular Posts