COUNTDOWN TO CHINA

It's too early to pack, I'm patiently waiting on my work permit to arrive in the mail any day now, I've done a ton of reading on what will be my new country, I've learned about 4 words in Mandarin (yes, that is a whole four words), and I'm super anxious for this new chapter to begin!  And for someone that is going to be an English teacher, I'm pretty sure I just wrote one gigantic run-on sentence...oh well!

Only 21 days left til I touch down in my new city of Guangzhou, China!

For a brief geography lesson :) please see the map below...My new city is the little red dot labeled Guangzhou!


I had originally planned on teaching English in South Korea (as mentioned in my previous post from forever ago) but South Korea has turned in to China and I'm thrilled to begin my new job in a place that is sure to be different from everywhere I have been before!

But different can also mean challenging and I have a feeling that this time abroad is going to be a bit more challenging than my previous adventures!  Between the food (it is said that you can potentially find anything with four legs that isn't the kitchen table served up on a plate for lunch or dinner - and that still doesn't cover all of what may be considered food because scorpions are also a snack and they have way more than four legs!) and the language (this will be the first place I have been long term where I will have a language barrier) and everything in between, I think it will definitely take some getting used to...BUT... that's part of what makes traveling so exciting.  In my personal opinion anyway! :)

So currently, I'm still spending most days substitute teaching (which can be both tiring and entertaining and I could probably select a few more adjectives...everyday is a new day...) and also trying to fit in dentist/orthodontist/doctor appointments before making my move to China.  My work permit and invitation letter should be here in a day or two from China and upon their arrival I will be making a trip to the Chinese Consulate in Houston to finally get my visa!  Then my airfare can be purchased and away I will go! 

Talk to you soon from my new home in China!

Comments

Popular Posts