Don't hock that on me!

Yep, that's right - an entire blog post dedicated to the disgusting habit of spitting in China. Is hock even a word?!  Like to hock a loogie?!  (I just googled it and according to Urban Dictionary it is...also all I can think of while writing this is how appalled my mom probably is by my use of the phrase 'hock a loogie'...)

Anyways, the Chinese are apparently immune to and quite unresponsive to the hocking of nasty spitballs anywhere and everywhere.  Not just men.  Women hock 'em up too.  Children.  I mean everyone.  I had read about the practice of spitting here before actually arriving but reading about it in a book in no way prepared me for it.  And I'm convinced that it is one thing that I just will not get used to while I am here.  I cringe every time I hear it...not see it!...HEAR it!  They aren't quiet about it - absolutely no shame.  And I hear it...and see it for that matter...multiple times a day.  I don't mean to sound like such a girl and you may be thinking 'oh its just spitting, people do that in America too!' - but no.  I promise you they don't.  Not like this.  Imagine someone hocking a loogie and spitting it on the floor inside in America...or at a restaurant...nope!  That just doesn't happen.  Nor is it common to be walking down a sidewalk in the U.S. and have to dodge the occasional spit/snot wad that someone has hocked up and left for the world to see.  But here you do unless you would like it on the bottom of your shoe to keep you company the rest of the day.  Lastly, and then I'll get off my loogie hocking shoebox, I was at a market the other day and this old man hocks one up not 12 inches from me.  I thought I was going to be spit on.  Just gross.  Obviously in China it's not just llamas and your occasional circus camel (I don't even know if they have either of those) that you have to be wary of spitting on you -.it's the people!

Other than all the hocking - all is well in China!  More...and on a more pleasant topic...soon!

Comments

Popular Posts