Chronicles of a Newbie Road Warrior...I don’t know what week it is...

Well it’s been a month or so and I have very obviously not kept up with my week by week detailed account of life on the road.  Who knows what you missed along the way…

But you know that song I’ve Been Everywhere (man)? That’s how I feel…Ive been to Berkeley, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Conway, Augusta, Athens, San Francisco, Raleigh, Spartanburg, Lubbock, Columbia, Clemson, Wilmington, Charlotte, Greensboro, Rock Hill, Greenville…I’ve been everywhere (in the Carolinas & Georgia & and a couple other states)(man).

Currently typing away on Southwest flight 859 en route back to Austin where I kind of sort of live sometimes.  I’ve survived my first semester as a Newbie Road Warrior.  It feels good to be done for the semester. 

In honor of that, here is some reflection - super duper honest thoughts and feels, lessons learned, and goals for the future.

1.  There are pros and cons to life on the road.

PROS – I love my alone time, working on my own schedule and from where I want while on the road, the miles and rewards are a plus, talking to students about study abroad, meeting people along the way is good too…

CONS – My cat can’t live with me in Austin because I’m actually never there.

2.  "So have you already started looking for other jobs?" – a question that cuts straight to the point courtesy of my aunt Jo.

The answer - I'm keeping my eyes open but also not moving on anytime soon. Judging by the first 4 months, I don’t think I’ll be a road warrior forever. It’s been tough. I hate saying that because I know I’m fortunate to have a job and there are much worst situations but I have gone back and forth with the job, had good days and bad days, cried over missing my life and apartment overseas multiple times, and had various instances of feeling alienated in my work and in this field (might seem unlikely given my amount of international experience and working in the field of international education, but it’s true). I am, however, trying to remain present and still learn. Plus, I have pretty amazing colleagues and that helps. I do miss teaching, though, and I could definitely see myself going back to teaching at some point. I could also see me barely sticking it out for my 10 month lease that hasn’t even started yet, packing a backpack and hitting the less traveled roads of the world for as long as my money will last. Who knows what the future holds.

Also, can I just say that I care nothing about ‘moving up the ladder’? I’ve heard so many people talk about moving up this invisible ladder as if that’s EVERYONE’s goal. It’s not a goal of mine. My goal, and this is in anything that I do, is to make a difference, live comfortably, and enjoy myself. For me, that doesn’t include working my ass off to move up in Corporate America. I know that’s a dream and a big deal for some and that’s okay, but I know that’s not my path. BUT, there is something about the workaholic culture of America that makes me feel guilty in saying that. It doesn’t mean I’m not ambitious or that I can’t be successful, it just means my ambition and idea of success aren’t as focused on my career.

3.  Favorite work destination award goes to… Wilmington, NC!
Probably a bit biased by an overall great week that week anyways AND an absolutely fantastic Airbnb in downtown that I would happily move into and live full time (we’re talking charming character, beautiful décor, Pottery Barn bedding that I would never actually shell out the money for myself, balcony with views of the river). Plus Wilmington’s downtown is also super walkable, the campus is friendly, and it’s only 20 minutes to beach!
 








4.  Things I’ve learned so far:

-Don’t throw your company credit card in a gas station trash can (or any trash can for that matter).

-Don’t go through a toll without stopping because of your lack of cash! The toll booths will, in fact, take credit cards. The USC parking garage, however, does not.

-Take time for myself! It’s not really that I had to learn this because I think I’m pretty good at it. It’s more like I had to fight for it. I can happily say that I have relaxed more into the position as the weeks have passed and the work/personal life balance has much improved compared to the first week out on the road.

-Some common Road Warrior Lingo, Questions, Conversations, Etc.

SAO – study abroad office; HIDB – home IDB…home internal(?) database(?)

Touch base, connect, reach out, follow up – all used to talk to someone about current business happenings

My favorite! NETWORKING. (cue jazz hands) – I get it. Building a network of contacts. It’s important. It’s good for business. Can we just call it chatting with new friends? Networking to me just sounds like there is an agenda. When I'm specifically told to 'network' it feels forced and it’s not just not my cup of tea. On the other hand if it's just getting to know someone – I can do that.

Can I have your business card? …ummm (I’m still not the greatest at carrying my business cards).

From the students: 
‘I’m poor. I can’t go abroad.' YES YOU CAN. 
‘So like, I really want to go to Barcelona.’ THAT’S GREAT! YOU AND EVERY OTHER STUDENT.
‘I want to go abroad but it won’t work with my major.’ YES IT WILL. 
‘Hi, um, I want to go to somewhere in Europe, probably Barcelona.’ YOU DON’T SAY.

Beginning of e-mail:  Hey team, Hi all, Greetings from ISA!
End of e-mail:  Globally yours, Best, All my best, Best regards, best best best best best (no matter how you actually feel just put ‘best’)

On a more serious note, I really have learned so much in just 4 short months about the international education field and the ins and outs of how it all works from provider programs to international exchanges and faculty led courses. With over 250 programs in 28 countries to promote and 50ish university partners that all have different ins and outs to how they approach, promote, and run study abroad – saying it’s a lot to handle is a bit of an understatement. This job involves a great deal of sales and customer service, student advising, marketing and student outreach, collaborating and coordinating with multiple individuals at multiple institutions, record keeping and administrative duties in addition to being your own personal travel agent and taking care of all logistics for every week you’re on the road.

6.  Goals.

The next time Enterprise offers me a minivan, take it!

Pack a freaking swimsuit (although yoga pants and a sports bra work).

Continue to book hotels that always offer freshly baked cookies in the lobby.

I was going to add look presentable in the airport in case you meet someone, you know like a rich businessman or doctor or something BUT I gave up on doing my hair and wearing anything other than yoga pants on a flight way back in like Week 2 so if that ever miraculously happens they'll just have to take me as I am. I would *hairflip* but my hair is in a messy bun.

Until the Spring semester!

All my best best best and globally yours, 

Audrey

P.S. More Pics!

Somehow scored this amazing view on Myrtle Beach!
Athens, GA
Having an UP moment at the Texas Tech Fair


Comments

Popular Posts