Exploring Phnom Penh!

Off I go to Phnom Penh! #travelmore

The Independence Monument

I honestly don't know much about it except for that it's smack dab in the center of the city and, as the name suggests, commemorates their independence!

  

The Royal Palace

Alongside Phnom Penh's Riverfront is their grand Royal Palace.  I have now been 3 different times but haven't actually entered the gates yet - the one day I intended to I found out that they take 3 hour lunch breaks everyday!  The outside is pretty though. You will see vendors, lots of pigeons, children wanting to sell you food for said pigeons, and a handful of guys with big, fancy cameras that want to be your photographer.  Oh, and unlike in China, I think it's okay to spread out a blanket and enjoy the green grass here although you would probably roast in the sun. And for those of you that don't know, the only time I was ever yelled at by security in China was for trying to lay on the grass and read my book on a nice day.

The Russian Market

It has everything you would expect a market to have and more and I have no idea why it is called the Russian Market. My photos show the food and the touristy trinkets but the items ranged from every color of glitter you could ever want sold in giant bags to used parts for your motorbike to clothes, shoes, books, and kitchen items. The aisles are cramped, crowded, and hot but your eyes will never be bored.  


 So many Buddhas!

 Scarves and bags, bags, and more bags!

 My favorite! Bracelets!

 The produce doesn't look so bad...
But the chicken looks kind of sad! (Ha my awesome rhyming skills)

The National Museum

The National museum houses relics from centuries past.  Many items are pieces that were stolen from Angkor Wat during the Khmer Rouge Regime.  The central part of the museum is a garden area with koi ponds and, on the day I visited, local children trying to catch those fish! The museum also presents a traditional Aspara dance show every evening that I haven't been to yet but it is on my list!


Can't forget the food!

Phnom Penh has no shortage of neat eateries. Since I've arrived I've not at all been limited to fried noodles and other local cuisine but I sure am happy to have it as an option! At my guesthouse I enjoyed a pancake with honey and lime and fresh fruit just about everyday for breakfast. I've also had a cheeseburger, a cheap, delicious chicken sandwich on a baguette, multiple fruitshakes, fresh coconut ice cream, tacos, a chef salad, indian chicken tikka masala, and something called a Madame Croque from the dog cafe that is down the street from my new place. No, they don't serve dog. You can take your dog or, in my case, go and enjoy the company of other people's furry friends. If you don't know what a Madame Croque is (because I didn't), it's black forest ham between two thick slices of bread, and then the whole thing is topped with a heavy amount of melted cheese and a fried egg. Not a sandwich, you need a knife and fork. And it was delicious. 

 Yummy pancake with fresh fruit - $2


 Equally yummy chicken sandwich on a baguette - also $2

Fried noodles!

I also visited the Choeung Ek Genocidal Center, better known as the The Killing Fields, and the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum as well as took a tour of the countryside with a local as my guide - all of which were eye-opening experiences! More on those soon!

Comments

Popular Posts