Chronicles of a Newbie Road Warrior. Week Three.

This week was busy. One visit and three fairs in three days (Clemson, College of Charleston, & The Citadel). Keeping with the lemme always tell you about my rental car theme - this week it was a brand spankin' new box on wheels - 2018 Nissan Versa. I had two days at Clemson and then I drove the box on wheels allllll the way across the state of South Carolina to Charleston for a double fair day at the College of Charleston & The Citadel and since the 2018 Versa gets such impressive gas mileage, I didn't stop 'til I got there. And then this happened:

Wednesday, September 20th @ enough after dark that I wished I had stopped for gas before dark.

I am in auto-pilot, zombie, blank stare, half asleep (but not really) mode when I pull into the gas station somewhere on the north (?) side of Charleston. I gather my Starbucks trash and plastic cracker wrapper that was my dinner and throw them both in the trash can, get back in the car, pop the gas tank and reach for my wallet to get my credit card. But it's not there - oh the feeling of panic when you can't find that all important piece of plastic. I'm baffled. I do not remember having it in my hand while throwing my trash away but still I get out of the car and go to stare down the well that is the trash can. In the time between chucking my trash and becoming utterly confused and concerned about where my card is, the car next to me has dumped their cigarette ash in the trash can. Still, I stare and don't see a card. Feeling crazy, I get back in the car and again rifle through my wallet and purse and belongings in hope of finding the Visa I need. Still nothing. So, once again, I get out of the car and stare into the trash can hoping my credit card will jump up from beneath the ash. I am the only woman that I can see refueling (or trying to) at this gas station and a guy walks over to check out my 2018 ride (I honestly didn't know it was a 2018 until he pointed it out on the paper tag on the back of the car). He makes small talk conversation about my super flashy Versa as I'm peering into the trash can and then joins me at the trash can and asks what I'm looking for. "Um. My credit card." And lo and behold at that moment I see it peeking up vertically from beneath the ash! "There it is!" This gentleman reaches into the ash and hands me my once red but now gray credit card, while another guy returning to his car comments that he thinks that gesture deserves a phone number. (In my mind, uh, no sir, being polite and rescuing my company credit card, while incredibly appreciated, does not warrant a phone number as a reward). I thank the card rescuer and he returns to his car and while pumping gas for his own ride, yells "You married?"

Other things that may or may not be worth mentioning:

-I'm trying to train myself to listen to podcasts. I think I'm getting better. So far I really like My Favorite Things with Wells Adams & Brandi Cyrus mostly because they recap Bachelor in Paradise including a bunch of behind the scenes gossip. If you know me at all, you know The Bachelor/Bachelorette/BIP is my jam. LOVE IT. I've watched it since I was 12. Anyways, my podcast training bounces between that one and Rough Translation (news stories from around the world), La Casa Rojas to practice my Spanish listening, Ted Talks because who doesn't like Ted, and Chinese Lessons. Just picture me driving and repeating after the podcast professor - "wo xiong kan yisheng (wOoO see-yong kahn eee shung) - "I would like to see a doctor."

-I had exactly one hour to explore in Charleston. I was sweaty (and a bit on the sunburned side) from the outdoor fair at College of Charleston and tired which goes without saying but I used my one hour to drive down to The Battery (I don't know why it's named this - something to look up!) and take a stroll. I strolled on down to Rainbow Row taking in the colors of Charleston and snapping pictures along the way. Also along the way, I saw a squirrel climbing a palm tree and for whatever reason this just struck me as the cutest thing and so I also spent a few minutes (not exaggerating) strolling in circles around this palm tree trying to capture the palm tree squirrel's photo but he wasn't really having it. 

Until next week, (But really it's already next week and I'm just behind).




Comments

Popular Posts