A Shanghai Start to My 27th Year!

I had survived my first year of teaching ESL in China.  It was a year full of ups and downs and lots of growth - as an individual as well as a teacher.  But much to my parent's dismay, just because my teaching contract ended on March 4th, that did not mean that I was flying home sweet home on the 5th.  My dad even asked me and this is a direct quote, "so I'll see ya on the 5th?!" Nope, a year is, I agree, too long to be away from family but I had more travel plans and it just made sense to stick it out a bit longer and go exploring!  I've traveled quite a few places but I've always had a home base.  Take a trip, come back, take a trip, come back.  

This time though it was just me, my backpacks and eight weeks on the road (and air and sea and a few tuk tuks and one camel).


I had yet to lay eyes on the city lights of China's largest metropolis, so the morning of March 8th I bid farewell to Guangzhou and headed east.  At this time of the year, Guangzhou's weather wasn't half bad and almost all of the places in the direction that I was headed were waiting to welcome me warmly - with the exception of Shanghai.  A cold front came through and I had to layer up with just about every t-shirt I had and sport my only pair of jeans for all five days that I was there.  If it looks like I'm wearing the same thing in every photo it's probably because I am!  I did my best to not let the cold weather keep me from exploring. I would walk a bit and then find refuge in the warmth of a store before venturing out again. I was alone on my birthday most of the day except for when a British guy joined me for a birthday beer at the Shanghai Brewery. It didn't bother me though, I was kicking off my 27th year doing what I enjoy the most - traveling!

This is my "on my way" selfie - attempting to look awake as I left for the airport and my 8 week adventure!

HAPPY 27th BIRTHDAY TO ME!


I was reviewing my pictures to share for this post and it looks like all I did in Shanghai was eat.  Good thing I was walking everywhere - and at a brisk pace since it was so cold!  Since I am writing this post having returned home, some common questions I have been asked since I have been back are about the food in China - "cats? dogs?" "Is it all gross?" "How did you eat over there?" Actually, most of the food - which never included cats or dogs and not because I didn't eat it but also because I never saw it on a menu - was absolutely delectable.  Chinese food also does not mean 40 different kinds of fried chicken smothered in sauce like many Americanized China Buffets suggest.  China's cuisine is quite diverse depending on where you go and I enjoyed different flavors in different places.  Here are some of the snacks and meals I tried while in Shanghai.

One of my absolute favorites! These may not look like much...but tasty xiao long bao 小笼包 deliciousness is wrapped inside these little dumplings!  They are a must try item if you ever find yourself in China, especially Shanghai.  Careful though if you do, they have a yummy soup inside that is waiting to be slurped down before you bite all the way into them!  If you just take a big bite out of them you risk losing all the soupy goodness!  My personal method is to bite a little hole in them, drink the soup, and then dip them in my combination of soy, vinegar, and spice before finishing them off.  (Thanks to the Huffington Post you can check out this video for an authentic demonstration - how to eat xiao long bao). 
My mouth is watering just writing about them.  Seriously so so good.

My mouth is still watering.  This authentic street food creation is divine.  If you can use the word divine for something such as street food.  Dan bing I believe is its name although I can't tell you for sure what it is exactly.  Egg, crispy tofu, chives, spice, a mystery sauce and a few other items combine to make this a delicious breakfast on the go!  I think I ate it every morning I was in Shanghai.  Get a better idea of what it is - I took a video of my chef!  
Dan bing!

Cross eyed for chicken on a stick.

 
So I don't have a picture of me staring at it like the chicken on a stick, but these candied, sugary strawberries received the same look.  And for a country that many times couldn't satisfy my extra sweet sweet tooth, these sweet strawberries were a sweet treat!

When I wasn't stuffing my face with dumplings, sugar or mysterious but delicious breakfasts (it was my birthday after all and I didn't have a cake so I think that's fair), I managed to see some other Shanghai sights.  I visited the famous East Nanjing shopping road, The Bund, Yuan Gardens and Qibao Ancient Town during the few days that I spent wandering the city.  

The Bund!


I don't know the names of these.  We can call them very tall buildings in Shanghai.

 A small portion of East Nanjing road.


 Yuyuan Gardens! Great place for a stroll, to grab a bite to eat, or shop for whatever touristy souvenir your heart desires.  I bought a notebook that I dubbed my travel journal and I am proud to say that it was completely full by the end of my 8 week journey.  For another look at Yuyuan Gardens, check out my video here!

 Entrance to Qibao Ancient Town in Shanghai!

 Quail eggs perhaps?! Qibao had no shortage of interesting food - to see some of the food that I wasn't stuffing my face with check out my video clip A Walk Through Qibao.  I apologize, I know that I'm not a great videographer.  I'm paying more attention to things around me than what I'm videoing but we can just say that makes it more authentic...

That's a wrap for Shanghai!  My 27th year was off to an amazing start!  

Next stop - Hangzhou! 

Comments

Popular Posts